As a full-time working mom, I have adopted gentle Sunday evening rituals that help me usher in Monday with a bit more ease.
I’m sharing with you 5 simple habits that over time have proven to be effective. Of note, these simple practices have oftentimes had a positive impact on the rest of my week. I feel the rest of the week becomes more manageable when Mondays are effortless. Through these 5 habits, I am able to maintain a sense of rhythm and focus. while avoiding feeling overwhelmed. On most Sundays, I meal prep and organize for the week, etc. However, the following five items require a thought process and I like to find a comfy spot to mindfully plan.
5 simple habits to ease into Monday
- Try not to overcommit on Sunday- ‘slow Sundays are a choice’. Resting and going to bed at a reasonable hour helps me wake up fresh and focused (note: sleeping cycles and schedules differ, but I find that adequate sleep is non-negotiable).
- Create a map of Monday detailing all meetings, appointments and project deadlines, etc. Also, identify when your workday will begin and end. Determine when you will take your daily breaks (set a timer if needed). When I started working remotely, I found it challenging to develop boundaries and adhere to timelines, as it is very easy to work through breaks and into the evening hours.
- Identify the top 5 Monday morning ‘must do’ tasks (priority calls, emails, team huddles, etc). – get them done first. Once these are complete, the rest of the day can be focused on specific projects.
- Decide what requests or possible commitments do not align with your vision and/or availability and respectfully decline. Once you have an overview of your commitments for the week, you are able to decide ‘does it make sense to say yes to one more thing’. I have found that overcommitting does a disservice to both parties.
- Have a ‘plan B’ mindset. Even with developing Sunday habits, Monday’s do not always go according to plan. Being mindful of this allows for easier transitions when we have to turn to plan B. Most importantly, be kind and gentle with yourself by taking the time you personally need to proceed.
If you practice Sunday habits that you have found helpful, let me know in a comment or a DM on my IG @onelittlenote. You can also contact me here. Looking forward to learning how you ‘ease into Monday’!